Please take time to visit my Facebook page for news and more information:

About Us

David Zammit is a solicitor of over 30 years' experience in many areas of the law, such as Commercial Leasing, Retail Leases, and Civil Litigation in the Local, District and Supreme Court jurisdictions, and Conveyance.

read more »

Law Society

Visit this page for General Legal Information and Updates on the Law:

Retirement Villages


If you are thinking of retiring, or have retired and are going over your options for the next stage in your life, you may have considered taking up residence in one of the Central Coast's many retirement villages. This is can be for many reasons, such as:

  • Your current house is too big for you to look after
  • Your health is frail and you could use some assisted care
  • You simply want to downsize

There are many retirement villages with various levels of services and care available.

It's a very important decision to leave the security of your home and take up residence in what is for many an unfamiliar environment. It is not a decision that you want to go into unprepared, because at this stage of life you can't afford to make a mistake.

In any case, where you have made the choice to go to a retirement village, it is very important for you to have clear legal advice about the ramifications of any residential contract you sign. Usually there is more than one agreement apart from the residential agreement that you need advice about.

Even though the Retirement Villages Act provides you with a lot of protection, there are still some traps for the unprepared or unwary.

Local knowledge is a key issue in this regard, and at David Zammit & Associates we have been practicing in this area of the law for over twenty years. David acts for a local retirement village and has a good working knowledge of the Retirement Villages Act and knows what you need to look out for.

When you are ready to talk, feel free to give us a call to discuss your options.

Here are some other sources of information about retirement village living:
  • The Seniors Information Service (SIS) provides information to seniors and others on a variety of issues.
    Tel:13 12 44
  • The Council on the Ageing (COTA) produces directories of retirement villages in both the metropolitan and country areas. These include details about the contracts, services and costs of each village.
    Tel: 9286 3860 or 1800 449 102 (for regional callers only)
  • The Retirement Villages Residents' Association is a non-profit organization which represents the interests of residents.
    Tel: 9773 0462 or1300 787 213 (outside Sydney)
  • The Aged-Care Rights Service (TARS) is a free advocacy service for residents of retirement villages, nursing homes and boarding houses. TARS provide publications, advice and referral for people seeking information. One of its publications Before You Move, provides a useful guide on things to watch out for if you are thinking of moving into a retirement village.
    Tel: 9281 3600 or 1800 424 079 (country callers)
  • Community Referral Service Law Society of NSW
    Tel:9926 0300
  • Law Access Service
    Tel: 1300 888 529
  • The Retirement Village Association represents retirement village owners and managers within the private sector. It provides accreditation to villages which meet the building and service standards set by the Association.
    Tel: 9747 4732 or1800 240 080
  • Aged & Community Services Association of NSW & ACT represents retirement village owners and managers within the non-profit sector.
    Tel: 9743 4066 or 1800 424 770


Remember, if you find it hard to get about nowadays, David can come and visit you at home to discuss whatever you need to talk about.